Livarot, Pont l’Evêque, Normandy Camembert and Neufchâtel are protected at European level. As a consequence they enjoy a Protected Designation of Origin. It is a guarantee of quality, which registers each of these cheeses in their land territories with strict geographic areas. All the stages of cheese production, from milk collecting to its distribution, must be carried out in this specified area.
– The milk collected from selected farms must come from herds composed of at least 50% of Normandy cows. These cows must spend at least six months of the year in grass pastures and have their feed monitored to give the best milk.
– The making and refining of the cheese are also well defined in the requirement specifications so as to guarantee the best from Normandy.
The IFS and BRC certifications are quality pledges for large retailers here in France and abroad.
Their aim is to establish a common basis for food safety requirements for food producers and monitor their quality level by external agencies.
The IFS and BRC certifications were created to:
• provide healthy products to the consumer
• ensure the safety of food to distributors
• meet the requirements of Community rules relating to hygiene
The PDO is a commitment to the environment and to society.
The PDO requires:
• At least 6 months’ grass grazing for animals
• 80% of feed must come from the farm
Cela favorise le maintien des haies et des prairies, véritable patrimoine naturel de la région.
This helps maintain hedgerows and meadows, the true natural heritage of our region.
The PDO is a real “farm to fork” sector and safeguards employment in the region.
E. Graindorge cheese dairy obtained the Social Responsibility Label, Level 1 on the 19th of November 2015 from the Quality and Management Association of Lower Normandy.